June 4, 2012

Favorite - Film Quote

(c) Elisabeth
I'm fully aware that this week ended yesterday, but in my head it goes on until I finish this blog post :) And now's the time to choose among the millions of hours of film-quotes that exist out there. For a film-geek like me, that's a nearly impossible task... But I'll try. Here are some of the ones that almost made the top spot:

Irene Adler: Why are you always so suspicious?
Sherlock Holmes: Should I answer chronologically or alphabetically?
(Sherlock Holmes)

Sherlock Holmes: My mind rebells at stagnation. Give me work. Give me problems. 
(Sherlock Holmes)

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.
(Alice In Wonderland)

Tony Stark: I mean doesn't it kind of defeat the whole purpose of having your own plane if it departs before you arrive?
(Iron Man)

Angus Tuck: Don't be afraid of death, Winnie. Be afraid of the unlived life.
(Tuck Everlasting) 

Sam: Then let us be rid of it... once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you! 
(Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King)

Gandalf: A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
(Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring)

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. 
(Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring)

Dumbledore: "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
(Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix) 

Dumbledore: From this point forth, we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork.
(Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince)

Dumbledore: In fact, being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger.
(Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix) 

Bruce Wayne / Batman: It’s not about who you are underneath; it’s what you do that defines you.
(Batman Begins)

Harvey Dent: You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
(The Dark Knight)





Tyler: If you could hear me, I would say that our finger prints don't fade from the lives we've touched.
(Remember Me)

Tyler: [tries to kiss her, but is denied]
Ally Craig: Not tonight. Not never, but just not tonight.
Tyler: So, dessert first in case of asteroids, yes. But kissing a guy you seem at least somewhat attracted to before riding off into the unknown New York night alongside a panda you've only just met, no?
Ally Craig: [kisses him] You're weird.
Tyler: I know.
(Remember Me)

Tyler: You have a daughter who sincerely believes that you don't like her. I mean, she's trying to communicate. She's speaking. But why aren't you listening? I mean, why aren't you riveted! Why isn't this the most important thing? Just one night!
(Remember Me)


But the movies with so many good quotes that it can't be outmatched is the Pirates of the Caribbean-movies. I think I could recite at least half of the quotes by heart! And the king of all awesome quotes is no other than Jack Sparrow:

Norrington: You actually were telling the truth!
Jack Sparrow: I do that quite a lot. You people are always surprised.

Barbossa: How the blazes did you get off that island?
Jack Sparrow: When you marooned me on that god forsaken spit of land, you forgot one very important thing, mate: I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Jack Sparrow: Put it away, son. It's not worth you getting beat again.
Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

Jack Sparrow: Up is down. That’s just maddeningly unhelpful! Why are these things never clear?

Jack Sparrow: We must fight, to run away!


But the best of them all:

Jack Sparrow: “Me am dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it’s the honest ones you want to watch out for. ‘Couse you can never predict when they’re going to do something incredibly… stupid.”
(Pirates of the Caribbean – The Curse of The Black Pearl)