April 5, 2013

Jack Reacher (2012) - Review


When: April 5th
What format did I watch: Digital download

Review: This is a smart one. I thought I was in for a typical action movie with one bad guy and one hero and a lot of shooting and car chases. Instead I find a hero who's not really a hero at all, the villain's (or villains') identity is questionable or unknown... The shooting and car chase did occur, but not as I had expected. So basically I started to realice that this was a movie where the anti-hero and the suspect's lawyer tries to prove that the guy appearing to be the guilty one actually is innocent. Mix Inception and the Bourne Legacy with The Usual Suspects and Batman Begins and you'll get an idea of what you're up for...

Drawbacks: The only thing that was a tiny disappointment was actually the ending. Don't get me wrong, it was good! It just wasn't as original and brilliant as the rest of the movie... I kind of felt that some of the loose ends didn't get collected and explained as well as I'd like. But I honestly can't think of another way to end it either... At least I still felt like I'd seen a really good movie when the end credits came on. That's what counts.

Why you should watch it: The beginning sais it all. It's actually amazing. Secrecy, brilliant camerawork,  perfect pacing, clever close-ups... And not a single word is being said until we're over seven minutes into the movie! The pictures, sounds and shots speak for themselves. That's artistry. Watch the first eleven minutes and you know this is going to be good... Trust me. 

Rating: 8/10 - GREAT