March 19, 2012

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" read-along part 2


Another Lamora-week! Between school, friends, filmmaking and editing, I only barely managed to finish this week's chapters... But I did, and I loved them! (I knew I would, but I realized that my brain does not contain a very detailed long-term memory.) Anyway, I am now ready to deliver my tribute to this week's questions provided by Dark Cargo. But I have to warn those of you who have not read the book (and plan to do so) or are not participating in the read-along or : there will be spoilers!


1) Do you think Locke can pull off his scheme of playing a Midnighter who is working with Don Salvara to capture the Thorn of Camorr? I mean, he is now playing two roles in this game – and thank goodness for that costume room the Gentlemen Bastards have!

(Oh! How I would love to visit their costume room! Mini-heaven...)
Locke is the sort of guy you could place in any given corner of the world and he would make himself comfortable in a matter of seconds, and given a few hours he'd probably already have altered his appearance, made a fake identity and be very busy making people give away their money willingly without even the faintest idea that they were being robbed in broad daylight.
I've got the feeling that it's a very long distance between the limits of what he can and can not do. Although, he has indeed got some limits. After all, he's just human...
One of the things about Locke's character that captivates me is his absolute faith in his own abilities and the things he's doing. He knows what he's capable of, yet he knows he's never alone. He'd actually have been killed quite a few times already had id not been for the other Gentlemen Bastards.


2) Are you digging the detail the author has put into the alcoholic drinks in this story?

Well... not really that interesting. But it's cool that he has made up a whole new set of drinks for his imaginary-world just like he made a bright new religion with twelve gods and such...


3) Who is this mysterious lady Gentlemen Bastard Sabetha and what does she mean to Locke?


Yes, who indeed? Here I must be careful not to say too much... But it's quite obvious that they have a history, and that Locke still loves her. The question is: What on earth did Locke do that made her run off just like that and not even try to make contact for several years? It has to be Locke's doing... Or else it wouldn't be such a touchy subject I figure?


4) Are you as creeped out over the use of Wraithstone to create Gentled animals as I am?

I love animals. I even grew up among them... (Lived on a farm until I was eight years old, and now I have a cat that practically lives in my bed.) So naturally I find it extremely creepy that the animals in the book can be altered to have no personality at all. That would be both sad and boring. I'm glad such things as a Wraithstone does not exist.


5) I got a kick out of child Locke’s first meeting with Capa Barsavi and his daughter Nazca, which was shortly followed up in the story by Barsavi granting adult Locke permission to court his daughter! Where do you think that will lead? Can you see these two together?

One answer: NO. They are just too similar actually... They are good friends, and that's how it should be.

6) Capa Barsavi is freaked out over rumors of The Gray King and, in fact, us readers are privy to a gruesome torture scene. The Gray King is knocking garristas off left and right. What do you think that means?

It means that there are two people in Camorr that don't underestimate the power of a good disguise. Locke is not alone... Found his like? Overpowered? Outsmarted? Wait and see!

7) In the Interlude: The Boy Who Cried for a Corpse, we learn that Father Chains owes an alchemist a favor, and that favor is a fresh corpse. He sets the boys to figuring out how to provide one, and they can’t ‘create’ the corpse themselves. How did you like Locke’s solution to this conundrum?

Chains has learned him to think through and plan in detail so that nothing can go wrong. Locke did just that, only he took it up a notch and was brilliant at it! He is not only a thief, but an artist... He's an actor who take pride in what he does. Clever little bastard :)

Want some good treats? Head over to the Live Journal of the author himself...